Wednesday, March 1, 2017

BREAST CANCER CHANGES THINGS....

I started this blog several years ago.... posting photos, and some notes of our quiet life here in the country surrounded by pine trees....

But life got in the way of blogging.... and it appears that it has been sitting idle for a long time...

Life has a way of changing.....and now at 74 I have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  When I actually write those words it still seems that I am referring to someone else ... not me..

I am never sick....

I  had to have my family Dr fill out a routine medical form for my drivers licence as I will turn 75 in June, at that time he found a large lump in my breast.... although I had know there was something there for a while, I was not ready to face up to it...  now I had not option...

Things moved quickly.... a mammogram and ultrasound, and then a biopsy all happened within a couple of weeks....

When I met with the oncologist who will be in charge of my case, he said he would not order the usual protocol of chemo, as in his opinion it would be too harsh. So I am going to be doing chemo for close to 6 months.....then surgery.....  The goal is to shrink the mass in order to make a lesser invasive surgery.....

Our first trip to the CHUS  ( the big University Hospital in Sherbrooke, located in two different hospitals) was eventful.   My sense of direction is not very good, and we overshot the cut off to autoroute 610 as I thought we needed to get off at another exit... 1st mistake..     Even my phone GPS was not giving me directions that we could follow, Stu was driving and I am still amazed at how calm, cool and collected he was. We did find a place to turn around and get back on track to the hospital but from a different approach than usual. Once we got parked, and into the main entrance I looked at my instructions that were given to me by the appointment secretary. She was French and did her very best to speak English to me, and I understood her to say we needed to get the elevators for L3 oncology. We  could not find that bank of elevators and time for the appointment was getting closer and closer. We took the main elevators to floor seven, followed some signs and ended up on the wrong end of the floor in the palliative care section. Not a good start, and by that time I was so upset and frightened that I broke down and said I could not take any more... a very kind young man, probably the resident on the floor came to our rescue and guided us to the proper place..

After we were finished our session with the oncologist, I noticed that the elevators we were looking for were in "Ailes 3", a reasonable mistake on my part....

To be continued.....



No comments: